Monday, January 7, 2013

38w0d Update

BP this morning was 118/86. No protein. NST was perfect. As expected, the OB was pushing for a 39w induction and essentially dismissed my desire for a natural birthing experience. However, since my perinatologist is supportive, I am not concerned since he is the decision maker at the end of the day. I am also not concerned because I really have no markers that put me at high risk for developing pre-eclampsia, but am unfortunately being lumped into that category due to a few isolated incidents that could have been the onset of pre-eclampsia, but has become clear that it is not.

This is the problem with the modern obstetrics system. While there are undoubtedly women that do have markers and should be delivered to prevent obstetric emergencies, there are many, many more women who are bullied into falling in line just because they have a few mild markers for a problem, and even if those markers dissipate, it is often too late because they've already been put on the induction train.

It doesn't help that my OB and perinatologist both seemed shocked I am not in a rush to get this baby delivered, as I've been told multiple times that I am not the norm, most women want to be induced ASAP. Sad to me. So, while I would hope that this would make me stand out and easy to remember, unfortunately I just seem to be forgotten because I'm not jumping on anyone's induction schedule.

Next appointment is Friday, and hopefully everything will still be looking great and I will get another go ahead to keep trucking on until I go into labor naturally.

No comments:

Post a Comment